The most famous of the South African Gold coins is the Krugerrand.
The Krugerrand was first minted in 1967 by the South African Mint. It was created as a way to market South African gold and to make gold ownership legal in the country. The South African Gold coins were an immediate success and quickly became the most popular gold bullion coin in the world.
The Krugerrand is named after Paul Kruger, the former president of the South African Republic. The obverse of the coin features a portrait of Kruger. The reverse shows a springbok antelope, the national animal of South Africa.
The Krugerrand is made of 22-karat gold, which is 91.67% pure gold. The remaining 8.33% is copper, which gives the coin its distinctive orangey glow
The coins are available in 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz and 1/10 oz weights.
The Gold Krugerrand was marketed so successfully that it dominated the investment market in the 80s with a 89% share.
The very well known Gold Krugerrand, is unique in the sense that it doesn’t have a face value, unlike the majority of international gold bullion coins.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.